Social Icons

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Power Supply Replacement

About a week and a half ago, my husband turned on the computer to play his most recent favorite game, Elder Scrolls Online. He came out to fix me a cup of iced tea. When he was handing it to me, we both heard what sounded like a electrical explosion coming from the other room. We both looked at each other and ran into the bedroom to see what the noise was.

What greeted us was a smell of some kind of burnt plastic or electrical wires. And hey, the computer was off. Nor would it even turn on. It was a huge heart-sink, because just a few days prior - we lost our television due to a cat knocking it off the stand and the screen completely cracked. The only thing left in my head was: What more could go wrong?

Tyler bought a new power supply for it, and yesterday, it finally arrived. He was concerned that when the power supply went out, it took other parts of the computer with it, so I was nervous to put it in, just because I didn't know what I was getting into, and how much damage was really done.

power-supply

This is my older power supply. I had bought it about the the time when I upgraded my graphics card, several years ago. The graphics card that I got required a higher wattage than what my computer came with. As you can see from the broken piece where the power cord goes, we've been having a few issues with it prior to it going out. I should have known something was going to happen, huh?

computer-01

I don't remember it being so complicated when I put in the old one! A lot of cords, needing to go to many different places. And a lot of unused cords. Sheesh! But, eventually we got everything plugged in and successfully working. (Although it looks like the DVD drive was a casualty from the the power supply going out - it doesn't open or work anymore).

innards

And, a last peek at the running computer before I closed it up! I was so excited that the damage wasn't more extensive (and expensive) than what it was. Whew!

I took several photos of Amelia puppy last night, so be looking out for those in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates