Social Icons

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Holiday Knittings

I hope everyone had a safe Halloween. My Halloween was spent walking around the block with a hot chocolate from Starbucks, looking at everyone's decorations and homemade haunted houses. I'm not particularly fond of Halloween, but any excuse to get out of the house with a hot chocolate, I'm all for it. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving, its one of my favorite holidays of the year. Filled with food, pumpkin pie, the Thanksgiving Day parade, the smells and the weather. I love it all.  Then camping out all night at a chain store for the thrill of some fantastic deal? Awesome.



Anyway. I finished the French Press Felted Slippers a couple days ago, and I so adore them. My plan was to save them and wear them for the new apartment, but once they were done, I put them on my feet and didn't want to take them off. So I need to make another pair... for the new apartment, right? Yes!



Also, a couple weeks ago, I picked up a couple skeins of fingering weight yarn, with the brilliant idea of making a pair of socks. The yarn was pretty at the time, all grey shades, and was cheap. I found that it kept pilling, splitting, and being just crappy yarn. So, I decided it was bringing down my sock making experience, and I thought I'd find another use for them. I read about overdying yarn a while ago, and decided to test the idea out myself, and see if I could do it. I followed a simple tutorial (here), and came out with some pretty pretty colored yarn. I used light blue dye for one - which turned out kind of blue, purple and black shades, and a light pink dye on the other, which turned out to be reds and black. So much fun. And now I have 2 different skeins of overdyed yarns to decide what to do with. I'm thinking a scarf for a particular person's Christmas gift with the purple and black color, and a little lace headband with the red one - for me.

2 comments:

  1. Your slippers are beautiful! I'm curious, do they stay on your feet well? I've been contimplating a pair.

    And so happy the dyeing tutorial worked out for you. *Love* both your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The pattern makes it where the slippers are kind of pinched at the heel, so they contour to your feet really well, and I have no issues with them staying on. :)

    And thank you!

    ReplyDelete

 
 
Blogger Templates