Social Icons

Monday, October 1, 2012

Hiya Hiya Goodies

Last Monday, I finally decided it was time to purchase a set of interchangeable knitting needles. I started knitting a couple years ago, and didn't know if I was really going to like it. So, my needle case has been slowly filling up with cheap needles, ones purchased from chain craft stores. Last year, I got two sets of nickle-plated  double pointed needles from Knit Picks, but at this point in time, they are basically unusable. From them, I have discovered that my skin tarnishes nickel like crazy, so any more Knit Picks needles were out of the question for me.

Since my love for knitting is not going away, it was time to invest in some quality needles. I researched all the major brands now, Knit Picks, Addi, Hiya Hiya. After looking and looking, I decided on the Hiya Hiyas. I heard that the joins on the interchangeables were one of the best, they are made out of stainless steel (I'm assuming since my forks and spoons aren't tarnished, I won't tarnish these needles), and they since they are metal they will fit my knitting style really well. I don't like wooden or acrylic needles, at all.

I was all set to order from the Hiya Hiya website, but then I noticed that I couldn't choose what color of the Puppy Snips I wanted (cute little tiny scissors, perfect for dropping in my travel knitting bag). Getting the pink was kind of important to me, and that was when I placed my order somewhere else - The Yarn Grove.

bag

Saying I was ecstatic when I saw this bag outside the door to my apartment was an understatement. After snapping this photo, I literally clawed through the packaging to get at my new interchangeable needle set. I've never had such umm.... expensive needles before. Well, they were expensive to me, at least. They are reasonable for the quality you get, but my fiance and I are on a budget. I'm really lucky he found it in the budget to get these for me.

hiya-stuff

The bottom is my interchangeable set. I got the Small Sharp set (sizes 2-8), because very rarely, do I need anything larger. I also got a size 1.5 fixed circular needle, with a 40 inch cable. I really want to learn magic loop, so this, I thought, would be my training needle. And, my Puppy Snips! I was shocked at the size of this, it is so small!

hiyas

The interchangeable set. I can't even describe how much I love them. It came with the sizes 2-8, 4 cable lengths, little grippers to help tighten the cables, and a really fabulous case. As soon as I got them out of the wrapping, I immediately transferred my Henslowe shawl that I was knitting on some needles I got at Michaels, to my new Hiya Hiya's. I adore them. The tips are sharp, the joins are so smooth, and no longer to I need to boil cables to get them to flex! Love.

As for The Yarn Grove, I am so happy with them. All my needles were packaged so well, shipped really fast, and I adored the little handwritten note on my order receipt. It gave some kind of personality to ordering online. And, the prices were better (and, I got free shipping on these! Win!).

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered Hiya Hiya 5" sharp 2-8 set yesterday. I should be receiving them on Monday. I have Knit Picks, but have been wanting to try another interchangeable set for quite some time. Since I've heard so many rave reviews about the Hiya Hiya's, I've decided to give them a try. Eventually, I'll try the Signature needles too.

    ReplyDelete

 
 
Blogger Templates