Social Icons

Friday, April 20, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

Every Thursday, I fix dinner for only myself. There's a lot of food that I enjoy, that the fiance doesn't like, so I take these days to make those foods for myself. I recently purchased a slow cooker, and am having so much fun making food that I love in it. There's nothing like dropping a bunch of stuff in a slow cooker and just letting it do the work for you. Last night, I had chili and cornbread, both made in my crockpot.

Chili and cornbread

First, I made the cornbread. I used a box of Krusteaz Honey Cornbread and Muffin Mix, prepared the way it said on the box (I used the butter option instead of the vegetable oil, because I love butter), then just put the batter it in the crockpot (well greased, of course), instead of a pan to cook in the oven. I cooked it on high for about an hour. It was kind of a pain to get out of the stoneware insert in one piece, though. Like 75% of mine came out in one piece, the other 25% came out in crumbles. I actually gathered the crumbles in a bowl and ate them then, while I waited for my chili to cook. Hah.

After I cooked the cornbread, I washed the slow cooker, and started dumping ingredients for my chili in. I kind of modified this recipe to make mine. Instead of using bagged beans, I used cans of rinsed black beans, garbanzo beans, and white kidney beans. I also didn't use Tabasco sauce. It cooked for about 6 hours on low, and it tasted fantastic. The cornbread came out perfect as well.

That said, there is so much leftovers! I love that my crockpot makes so much food that I can refrigerate or freeze, but I only have so many containers! I made taco soup a couple nights ago, so, between the soup and this chili, I have absolutely no more plastic containers to store my leftovers. It's amazing that I can spend about $5, and have meals for a whole week is pretty amazing to me. Fiance won't eat chili or taco soup, so... more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates