Social Icons

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Starting a Shawl

I think it's time to take a small break from blogging about my apartment, what do you think? Well, for the past couple days, I have been pretty sick. I think it might be a cold, but I'm feeling worse each day, so I'm thinking it might be something worse than a cold. Because I don't want to just lounge around doing absolutely nothing, I wanted to knit something. I'm not interested in knitting another pair of socks, considering I haven't even worn the 3 that I knitted previously. Also, I kind of wanted something bigger, something more of a challenge to complete. Something that wouldn't just take me a couple days to finish. Shawls seem to be popular for knitters on ravelry, so I started looking at a Haruni shawl. The more I looked at it, the more I loved it. After looking through the pattern, I realized: Hey, I can do this!

It starts with a provisional cast on, which I had no idea how to do. Several YouTube videos, and an hour later, I finally had my 3 provisional cast on stitches. Somehow, I came out with something that I'm actaully proud of. It's still in the works, and I think this is a fabulous pattern to knit. It's easy-ish to memorize the lace repeats after doing them a couple of times, and it's quite fun, even for a beginning shawl knitter.

Haruni Shawl Knitting

I got a bunch of this yarn in a variety of colors for my last birthday, and I made a pair of socks out of one. I was unhappy with the way the yarn looked in the sock, it looked almost self striping. However, the yarn used for this shawl, looks fantastic... Almost like it was made for this project. And it's pink, who can complain? I love it so far.

Knitting something this large is really helping with me not feeling well, it helps pass the hours, so while I'm sniffling, blowing my nose, and nursing full body aches, the days don't seem as long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates