Social Icons

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Apartment - Kitchen

The kitchen is probably one of the worst rooms in the apartment. Honestly. Women, by nature seem to be drawn to rooms such as the kitchen, but this apartment was chosen by Tyler. It's super small, no counter space, and really strangely laid out. But, it's our kitchen, and we seem to make it work.

It was insanely difficult to come from a kitchen in California, that had a half bar, tons of cabinet and pantry space, a garbage disposal, dishwater, and enough counters to put several appliances on. Here, we have no upper cabinets at all, I have to hand-wash dishes, and we have only one area for counter space. Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at our place? Forget about it.

kitchen

It's really small. Our back door leads out to some really creepy stairwell, that we have to take our garbage down to, and where we go to do our laundry at. The stairwell is narrow, uneven, and terrifies me. I refuse to go down there, honestly. The door even makes me nervous when I'm by myself in the evenings, it rattles, creaks and sometimes I feel like someone is trying to get in. All in my head, of course (well, at least I hope it's all in my head). Anyway, the sink is what I call... vintage. The label on it says "American Kitchens", and I've never seen a standalone sink unit like this, in my life. Do they even make things like this anymore? That semi-open door, doesn't close all the way, either.

The tap water here tastes horrible, it seems to make me feel very sick after I drink it, so fiance went up to the local store one day and picked up one of those fancy Pur water filters. It tastes slightly better, but, I can't seem to drink it right out of the tap still. I have to put it in a pitcher, and then stuff it in the fridge for a few hours to make it cold. Can't seem to drink it without it being cold. Strange.

kitchen-1

Ahhh, the rest of the kitchen. Not much to say, really. We literally have only enough space for a microwave on the countertop.  I keep the boxes of other small appliances, such as the toaster. If I need the toaster, I pull down the box, take it out, use it. When I'm done, I put it back in the box and back on the shelf. The paint on the cabinets is peeling, looks old, and is generally pretty nasty. One day, we will probably repaint them, but it seems like a whole lot of work right now. And I found myself unamused and bored with painting in general. Maybe even change the hardware on the cabinets?

To what I'm used to, it is the crappiest kitchen ever. I'm pretty sure it could be worse, but still, it's really hard to live without the kitchen things I loved so much in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates