Social Icons

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Apartment - Dining and Living

There really isn't a way to break these two rooms into different posts, so this blog will probably be a bit longer. As I said before, we do live in a rather old building. It has the older building charm, and beautiful dark woodwork that I love. I was actually really impressed when I first walked in the apartment, because it holds so much potential, and is actaully really nice. If you pay attention, you will notice the many flaws, but just don't look up or open closet doors. We have leaks from the ceiling in closets, and somehow, some previous tenant got something that looks like pasta sauce all over the ceiling. Shortly after moving in, I took a mop to the sauce. That was awkward.

full

The room has really fantastic south-facing windows, and I am excited to start filling up the whole apartment with plants one day. I tell the fiance all the time the the apartment is going to be so filled, its going to look like a jungle in here. Unfortunately, my plants aren't growing as fast as I'd hoped. Anyway, the best feature in this area, I think is the really great built in shelving. I'm not sure really what they are made for, but I've been attempting to fill them up with photos and picture frames. It's kind of sad how little photos we have of us, I need to be more motivated to get more pictures.

living

This is the sofa that we bought together. I wanted some kind of sofa chaise look, but our space between the sunroom door and the radiator is so small, there's not much space to do much of anything. A furniture store sent out an ad in the paper, which was $699 for this. I loved it right away, and we went to get it. It fits perfectly in the space - although we can't move the sunroom door, it's a perfect fit. The ottoman, was from a chair we previously had in the living room (which now sits unattractively in the sunroom), and doesn't match at all. I want to get a coffee table, but the fiance needs some convincing to get rid of the ottoman. For now, I try to hide it with folded up blankets.

full-1

Dining room is a bit cluttered, isn't it? It's a bit awkward, especially when one of us is on the computer, and the other needs to walk by, we have to go all the way around the table, but meh. It works. I'm not sure where else we could have placed the desk, this seemed like the only logical solution aside from investing in a laptop.

dining-1

In addition to the dining room table, and the desk, we also have a bookshelf and a fishtank in there. These photos were taken a little while ago,we mounted a hanging lighting unit to the ceiling since this photo was taken. It's a powerful light, and really blue. We really don't even need to turn on the overhead light when we eat dinner because the fishtank light is so bright. We also started to spackle in this room, getting it ready to paint. We decided on Valspar's Green Tea Leaves for the color in both the dining room, and the living room.

dining

I love fresh flowers. Tyler regularly goes out to the local grocery store and picks up a cheap little bouquet of flowers for the table. I just use an old glass pasta sauce container for the vase. Why go out and buy something fancy when the flowers are fancy enough? There's something about how fresh flowers on the table makes one feel, it feels a little happier, I think. Sometimes when he buys a new flower bouquet, there are still a few live existing flowers in the glass jar. I like to take a smaller glass jar (usually one that once held jelly in it), and put them on the computer desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates