Social Icons

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Apartment - Bedroom

Last post, I blogged about my trip to get here to Iowa. Now, I'll take a couple days and show the small apartment where we live. The fiance picked this apartment out pretty much by himself, I didn't even see it in person until a month after he finalized it all. The apartment has it's problems - it is an old building, but it has charm, beautiful woodwork, lots of windows, and tons of potential. We don't plan on moving any time soon, we intend to stay here a while, and we are in the process of making it our own. A lot of our furniture and things are passed down to us, but we are slowly replacing furniture that we pick out ourselves. It's a slow process, but we are getting there. We pretty much started with just a few pieces, considering I only came with whatever I could fit in luggage.

Anyway, I'll start off with the bedroom for this post. We are allowed to paint the walls, just as long as it isn't a "funky color". Pink isn't funky, right? No? I didn't think so. The bedroom actually has this really ugly dropped ceiling, which I didn't photograph. I have come to the conclusion that a smoker lived here before us, because literally, all the tiles on the ceiling are brown. The little bit where they sit on the metal piece? Perfectly white. Eventually, we intend to replace the tiles. They really don't look good with my pink walls.

A quick story: Shortly after I arrived here, I was alone in the house and laying in bed reading a book. All of a sudden, there were LOUD flapping noises, which seemed to be right above the bed, then heard it move (or fly?) across the room. I just knew it was something like a bird that was trapped between the dropped ceiling and the actual ceiling. I ran out of the room and didn't go back in until Tyler came home and poked at the tiles with a broom handle. But of course, nothing moved. I still think something is living up there, but am too afraid of what I'd find if Iput my face up there.

bedroom

When we were deciding on wall color, I told the fiance that I wanted pink (jokingly), and he agreed. We went shopping for paint, he was intent on the pink color and wouldn't take any other color considerations. We grabbed a bunch of pink swatches and taped them to the walls at home. We eventually decided on a lighter pink called "Pink Breeze" by Valspar, because it matched perfectly with a pink on my comforter. It is very pink, and hits you as soon as you walk down the hallway into the bedroom. But, it looks fabulous with the dark woodwork of the apartment.

closet

We have a teensy little closet. Ironically though, it isn't the space of the closet we have issues with, it is the hangers. For some reason, we keep running out of them. We buy more packs of hangers, and somehow run out of hangers again. We don't get more clothes, the hangers don't leave the house. It's like... the closet is eating them - maybe it's the mystery creature in the ceiling?  And, that ridiculous white laundry basket serves no other purpose than to put our decorative pillows in before we go to sleep.

bed

The bedding that inspired the wall color. This was one of the first things I bought to come with me, back in California. I knew I was moving, and I was wandering around HomeGoods. Iowa does not have a HomeGoods, so when I saw this set, I knew if I didn't get it then, I would never get it. So, I purchased it, and stuffed it into a SpaceBag in my luggage to bring on the train with me. The stuffed Wall-e, was a gift from Tyler the first time we met in person. He's been on my bed for years. We all have our emotional attached stuffed animals, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates