Social Icons

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wedding Preparations


As my few blog readers might know, I got engaged a while ago. There as been really no rush in getting married. I have been perfectly happy waiting for getting married as long as I can... until now. Due to health care issues on Tyler's check, there has been a huge hurry to our marriage. He had listed me as a domestic partner on his benefits from his work, and because of that, he had over $400 taken out because of taxes and everything for benefits. We were only expecting a little over $200. This was a huge blow to his paycheck, one that we couldn't afford. Especially when we are trying to have a baby, and move to a nicer apartment, at the same time.

We had two options: one was that he could go down to 30 hours a week for 4 weeks, and not accrue any paid vacation or time off for the next 6 months, and lose all that extra income that we need to live... or... get married. On our way home one day, we stopped off at the courthouse to see what kind of cost it will be and how to proceed. We found out that to get married, it would cost $35, and 4 days for the license to be valid. (And of course, ceremony, which is performed in the courthouse for free on business days).

So guess what? We are getting married... and soon! I've kind of wanted a courthouse marriage, because I don't like to be center of attention, and I honestly don't have anyone to invite. I have no bridal party, and my mother is in California. So this works out fine for me, Tyler was the one who wanted a big church wedding, and reception. I was so not into the big-wedding thing, that I was even going to purchase a bridal gown online. I searched on David's Bridal website for a dress.

I had two requirements: It has to be able to be worn again (like for a fancy dinner at Luciano's), and I need it to be low-cost, because this wedding is simple and in a courthouse in a few weeks. I couldn't find any actual bridal gowns that fit my requirements, but one look at this particular bridesmaid dress... I was in love.

I made an appointment last night to my local David's Bridal, and went in when they opened early this morning. They had the dress for me to try on, but didn't have either colors I was looking at in stock. I had fallen for the dress, but was a little undecided on the color they had. Tyler liked a red swatch they had, but once I tried on a different dress in the red color, I decided it wasn't for me. The other color I thought I liked on the website, I tried on in yet a different dress, and loved the color. Once I tried on a dress in the Malibu, I couldn't imagine any other color I would wear. I ordered the dress in Malibu color.

After I purchased my dress online with them (to be shipped to my house next week), they handed me a booklet of coupons, one of which was one to Helzberg Diamonds, for a free pair of earrings. Of course I went across the street to grab them!

Pearl Earrings for Wedding

While I'm not sure if I would use them, they are definitely pretty. Freshwater pearl earrings, and free. The guy who I gave the coupon to wasn't the friendliest, but hey, earrings! I wanted to go to JCPenney to find another piece of jewelry for my dress. Maybe a necklace that matches the earrings?

Bracelets for Wedding

Checked out some pearls, but for some reason I couldn't decide on one that I would like with my blue dress. But I came across these bracelets. They would go absolutely perfect with the color of dress I chose! I am not the biggest fan of the gold of course, I prefer silver, but how often can you find a bracelet this perfect to the dress? The best part: these also had a clearance sticker on them for $6.97. JCPenney was also doing some kind of extra percent off clearance, and after my associate discount... I ended up paying $4.13 for the set. Can't beat that!

Dress is expected to be here next week, so be on the look out for photos of the dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates