Social Icons

Friday, February 21, 2014

Repainting Brass Lamps

So, the wedding was on Monday. We are officially married, and our marriage certificate already came. It went really well, I didn't fall on my face with those heels, although my feet hurt like crazy afterward. His family took us out to a nice, fancy dinner afterward, and they even bought us a little wedding cake to cut during the dinner. It was nice. Now, Tyler is officially my husband. I did decide, however, that I will wait on updating my driver's license and stuff to my new name until we move - that way I can change it to the new address, and my new name all at once.

Anyway! The wedding is over, so now it's time to change my focus to other things. My mother is telling me to focus on getting through one day at a time, so that's my goal now. Wedding is past, so now I'm focusing on packing. And doing a few projects.

One of my goals for the new apartment: invest in it. By that, I mean... I'm making it my mission to really invest in furniture, decor, and little pieces to make it a home. With our current place, we still have a dresser and a desk that we received as hand-me-downs from his mother. I want to get better quality furniture of our own. At the same time, I'd like to do it on the cheap. That said, I've been taking inspiration from Pinterest, and embarking on a few small projects.

We've been taking small trips to the Goodwill, and Flea Markets in search of furniture and a couple random pieces for the new apartment. On one trip, I came across this lamp, priced at $4.

ugly-lamp

Normally, this lamp would have been so gawdy, that I'd bawk at it and move on. However, something stopped me. This lamp looks almost exactly like a touch lamp my grandmother used to own when she was alive. I loved the lamp as a child, just briefly touching it turned it on, and the hours of entertainment that it provided to me (and probably annoyance to my grandparents).... That simple memory of my grandparents sold me on it.

However, as is, I didn't want it in my new apartment. I decided to put my Pinterest reading to use, and I decided to spray paint it! I've never spray painted anything in my life, but this was minor enough to try on.

painting

I wiped it all down with soapy water, and took it apart. And then set out to paint it! I chose a glossy white, thinking that it would probably go best with the things in our bedroom.

spray-painted-lamp

Ta Da! Looks so much better, I think! It has a few mess ups on it, mainly where I was too close in my painting... there are a few running paint drips, but for the most part - it looks awesome, all things considered. Not bad for a first try, right??

blue-lamp

It was so awesome, that I decided to give painting another try. I took on a slightly more expensive project: a brass lamp, again from Goodwill for $7. This one, I think will end up going in our living room. I'll probably buy a more attractive lampshade for it eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates