Social Icons

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DIY Wax Bars

So, I love the scents of Bath and Body Works. I love the prices of their 3 wick candles (when they go on sale). However, and issue I have is when I light them, I smell more of the burning flame than I do of the candle. Maybe because my nose is weird? Don't know, but it had me wondering if there was another way to get the scent, without the flame smell. It came to my attention, that yes, I probably could buy a candle warmer plate... but that's just money I'd use that we can't currently spend.

Imagine my glee when I saw on Pinterest, that someone made their own wax bars, for a Scentsy warmer. I decided to try it out, with my own spin on things. They used one of those candle warmer plates, but I didn't have one. I used my crockpot. Of course, you should probably use a slow cooker you don't intend on cooking out of again, because this was really messy, and wax obviously isn't safe to eat.

 diy-scentsy 

This is the candle that I chose to use. I did have this candle already lit at one point, so don't mind the black wicks. It was not a brand-new candle.

in-crockpot 

I placed it in my slow cooker, and turned it on the lowest setting. Honestly, I don't even know if I needed to put the lid on, or not. But I did. I did this is kind of spurts. I waited until a good part of it was melted liquid, then poured into an empty Scentsy wax container. Then I put the candle back in the slow cooker to melt some more.

candle-scentsy

Once it was completely melted, I came out with a total of five wax bars (I also read that you could use ice cube trays, as well?). I am really clumsy, so if you do something like this: protect your counters, and fingers. Wax is hot, and a mess to clean up if you miss the molds.

diy-scentsy-reuse 

I heard that sometimes the wax doesn't melt in Scentsy warmers, or there's issues with them. However, I popped three squares into my warmer, and it melted fine, and smelled like the great Bath and Body Works scent, without the flame, just like I wanted.

I feel like this was a little more economical than buying more bars. I spent $11 on one candle, and made five bars out of it, where Scentsy bars are $5 per one. However, I'll probably continue buying the Scentsy bars, because I adore their scents, and only do this alternative on the random times I buy a candle. It turned out okay, but really, Scentsy has just as awesome smells.

In other news, it feels like ages since I last blogged. We have moved into our new apartment, I've officially changed my name on all the important things (I have found that changing your name is a colossal pain in the rear), and we finally just got internet today. More pictures coming later, of our new apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates