Social Icons

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Double Delight Rose Bush

Spring is coming, and I am excited! Last year, I made a small attempt at trying to do some container gardening on my patio, but I failed miserably. This year, I'm going to try my hardest to get it right! I grow a variety of things on my windowsill year round (mainly aloe vera plants), but I'm going to try to get going with beautiful, blooming plants outside.

I decided upon getting roses. I have been frequenting the nursery, Home Depot, Lowes, and various big box stores, looking for rose bushes. I've been spending a lot of time researching them, looking at ways to propagate, different varieties. I came across one that I liked, it was beautiful and had good reviews about living in containers. I ordered it, for almost $18, but it will come to me as "bare root", which to my understanding, is a dormant plant. But that's okay! I went out, purchased a huge pot, potting mix. I was ready to receive it.

However, by some fluke, I went to a hardware store that I hadn't been to in a while, since it's kind of out of the way. Imagine my surprise when I find an ENTIRE BOX full of bare root roses. I dug around in them, found a gorgeous bloom called "Double Delight." Upon talking to someone in the store, they told me that they were better off in the ground, that they would only last so long in containers. I didn't care, I wanted something to plant... now.

Double Delight Rose

And here she is, my bare root Double Delight rose bush! It's not much to look at now, but I'm hoping it grows really well, and survives for a couple of years, at least.

Double Delight Rose Growth

I also made sure that I picked one out that had a little bit of new growth on it. While frankly, I have no idea what this new growth is, I'm taking it as a good sign that the plant is still alive, and ready to live!

A lot of my gardening is just trial, error, and a ton of Googling. As for the rose I ordered... I still have a pot for it (although this one is a bit smaller), potting mix is ready, and it was supposed to have shipped yesterday. It didn't, and I have already contacted the place I bought it from, who told me they are waiting for the weather. Well, thanks for keeping me informed? Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates